The poodle comes from free varieties; standard poodle, miniature poodle, and toy poodle. It is one of the most intelligent dog breeds. Research shows that many cases presented to the specialist behavioral clinic in Brisbane, Australia, were results of aggression.
The types of aggression included 32% dominance, territorial 30%, predatory 14%. One of the breeds that mostly attacked human beings was the poodle.
Poodles can be seen to be aggressive under certain situations, and I should be able to understand the root cause of the poodles’ problem to identify the steps needed to resolve it. Whenever my poodle gets aggressive, I take them to brain training for dogs to help to control the aggression in my poodle.
The reasons for aggression in poodles can be
- a) genetics
- b) breeding
- c) anxiety
- d) fear
- e) health problems
- f) lack of socialization
- g) high energy
- h) exhaustion.
- There are several mitigations you should take to curb and correct the aggressive behaviors in poodles.
- Reasons for aggressive behaviors in poodles
- What ways can aggression be revealed?
- It is always harmful when having an aggressive poodle.
There are several mitigations you should take to curb and correct the aggressive behaviors in poodles.
This involves introducing your poodle to other animals, making them play freely, walk, and have playtime with the surrounding dogs and people present.
When you identify bad behaviors during these interactions in your poodle, make sure you take timely action. This will make them know what is expected of them during the socialization process.
- Poodle care- this is a period when the poodle is being taken home-base care safely socialized with other poodles. It is well suitable for people who work all day and fear that their poodle will feel lonely.
- Dog walkers- these are assigned people who come by and walk your animal for you through giving them exercise. The best part of it is that the doggy walkers can take your poodle to multiple dogs in the dog parks.
- Increase your poodle encounter- people with farms have a great opportunity to increase the to socialize their pets. The poodle will be able to smell safe animals, how to interact with humans apart from the owner.
The types of training to help with aggressive behaviors in poodle include;
- Distraction training- for example, training your poodle to distract your poodle from reactions to visitors can make them remember the behavior. When they learned this behavior, they are able to adapt to it since they make sure that we feel proud. If your poodle attacks other poodles or does not like other poodles, there is a good training technique to resocialize your poodle.
- Obedience training- it helps to improve your poodle aggression. Poodles are highly observant, and they are able to read the owners’ reactions during certain situations. During the aggressive situations, the owner is able to give them signs making the outcome to be more pleasant.
- Ensure consistently- if the owner’s reactions are not secure, it will make the poodle to be stressed, thus causing them to have aggressive behaviors.
Exercising your poodle who feels aggressive due to attention can have a positive impact. Tips for exercise include;
Ensure night walks four your poodle- this helps poodles to examine their homes before having a calm night. This exercise makes the release the amount of energy, and since they are observant, they benefit from the walks.
Set morning alarm- it is a win-win situation, and since when you go for morning exercise, it helps your poodle to release energy when starting their day and also creates a strong bond with your poodle.
Creates a conducive home.
The environment should be safe and healthy for your poodle. Sometimes animals get depressed when they have an environment that is loud or rambunctious and require a peaceful place.
Make sure you meet the needs of your poodle by providing comforts such as proper bedding, consistent potty breaks, and quality foods. If your poodle feels that the environment is not safe or well-cared, aggressive behaviors will eventually start to show up.
Proper medication for your aggressive poodle.
Your poodle may exhibit aggressive behaviors due to sickness. The first thing you need to tell the vet all information regarding how your pet behaves. The information can include the situation making the poodle behave or have health issues.
The pet can act differently when with a vet as opposed when you are with them at home, and this gives the reason to disclose all the relevant information.
Reasons for aggressive behaviors in poodles
Anxiety– the pet environment plays a huge role in your pet. Anxiety can cause health issues, and it is advisable to speak to the concerned vet so that the condition can be removed. The vet is capable of providing medication with other help to remove aggressive behavior.
Fear- when your poodle is afraid, you will be able to identify through their defensive. Dogfighting instills fear, which turns to aggression.
Territorial defenses– when a poodle feels that the environment is in threat, they will behave. The behaviors are introduced to them due to when a strange animal is around their environment or strange visitors inside the house. However, the behaviors can exhibit when they observe that their beloved human is in trouble.
Health issue– when your poodle is not active, they will behave abnormally through eating or sleeping less, short tempers, and annoyance. They can growl at a toddler when he is about to step on their tail.
Inadequate socialization– poodles are not properly socialized when they are not used to associate with other dogs. When your pet has proper training, it can show certain behaviors when around new animals or humans.
High energy- when the poodle energy is not well released, aggressive behaviors start to show up. A poodle will do anything necessary to release energy, such as growl at strangers, or it can be difficult to control them.
Exhaustion– fatigue poodles, can make them behave abnormally. Poodles need to rest, especially the active ones, when they are tired. Extensive care is needed, as this will bring more benefits.
Breeding– abusive environment and removing the pet early from the mother will make your poodle behave aggressively and distrust them when they are growing. The pet mother plays a critical role in teaching the needed skills, which help them in training.
Genetics- a born aggressor poodle, will need proper training and well socialized before taking to socialize with other animals.
What ways can aggression be revealed?
Barking it may happen when the poodle wants to express emotions such as happiness, being alert or wants to catch the attention. It is one way of communicating with the owner. Consistent barking proves that something is wrong. They always alert you that something needs to be taking care of. The continuous barking will happen unless the owner is removed from what they are sensing. Poodles can protect themselves and the owner when they feel that the other animal or predator in the environment is harmful.
When the action is done, it can be a low “grrr” and can be deep and guttural. The growl happens when the jaw is locked, and the noise comes behind the teeth. It usually comes to alert the owner of potential danger or a predator. Growling can occur consistently when the poodle has not undergone behavioral training. McCue developed the growl classes to handle your poodle in public places.
It is categorized growling, but teeth are shown and show a sense of danger. During snarling, you need to quickly find a safe environment and also remove your poodle. In this situation, the poodle is always ready to attack and can cause a deadly threat. Training your poodle can make them handle the situation safely before their aggressive behaviors become more hazardous.
When this action happens means that there is more fight to your poodle behavior than a warning. This means it is ready to fight, and nothing can prevent them. This happens when the poodle wants to create space from other animals who make them feel nervous.
Is there arguing in your home? This can be a reason why your poodle can yelp. The other things that can cause your poodle to yelp are loud music, a new cat, or fight. In case you do not understand the reason for yelping, you need to see a vet as there might be a medical problem.
Biting and snipping
Bitting or snipping can happen when there is a provocation, and something is dangerous. Aggressive behaviors can make a poodle bite. In case the poodle is exposed to a dangerous environment, caught off-guard, they are likely to react through biting or snipping.
It is always harmful when having an aggressive poodle.
Types of harm
- Physical harm- poodles can cause physical harm to you or the third party and can be fatal. The circumstances can make your dog react aggressively.
- Mental harm- anxiety can come mostly to poodles who are always alert. It is a sign of stress and complications which make them have aggressive behavior. Anxiety can come when the poodle starts to growl while eating, seeing not threatening situations in a non-threatening way, or sleeping loudly.